CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 14, 2013

Turkey Empanadas with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce



Okay, I admit it. I'm guilty! Guilty of STILL having leftover turkey in my freezer from THANKSGIVING! Anyone else in the same boat? Luckily, this dish was the last of it. I also made Turkey Enchiladas a couple of days ago, but didn't get any pictures taken before it was devoured, so you'll just have to use your imagination there.

Bits of meat like this has to be used up fairly quickly after freezing, because of that funky freezer burn it gets. I have ham in my freezer about to suffer the same fate. That's next on my list.

This recipe came from Haley at Cheap Recipe Blog. When I was reading the recipe, I thought her substitution for capers said green onions, but it said green olives. Oops! Luckily, I had green olives leftover from my Turkey Enchiladas. I'd already chopped up the green onions, so I just added those in as well. I also decided to saute the white onion in 1 tablespoon of EVOO, before adding it to the rest of the mixture, instead of throwing them in raw.

On another note, I'm officially back on Weight Watchers this week. No more excuses! I'll report back on Sunday with any pounds lost.



Turkey Empanadas with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

This recipe has been doubled

Filling
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 packages of Goya Brand Empanada Dough (In freezer section of ethnic grocery stores, I went to a store called Valley Produce Market. They were $1.99 each.)
3 c cooked turkey, finely chopped
8 oz. light cream cheese, softened
1c cheddar cheese, shredded
1 large onion, chopped
4 tablespoons capers (or 1/2 c chopped green olives)
1/2 c green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
2 roasted red peppers
1c light mayonnaise
1/2 c light sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium sized skillet, set on medium heat, saute white onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, until lightly golden in color. Set aside. Mix all other filling ingredients. Add sauteed onions, and mix to incorporate. Place one large tablespoon of filling in center of empanada dough round. Moisten edges with water, then fold the dough over, and seal the edges. Crimp edges with tines of a fork. Place in oven on greased baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until crust is browned and filling is hot. To make roasted red pepper sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.

This recipe makes 36 Empanadas. 3 Empanadas with 1 oz. of Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is 12 points plus.








I link up to these great parties!


Print Friendly and PDF
Pin It!

16 comments:

KC Coake said...

Mmmm... I love empanada! I have never even heard of the empanada dough! That would make it so much easier to make them. I'm going to have to look for that. I also have leftover turkey in my freezer. Pinning! Thanks for the ideas!
KC

Kira Sanders said...

Thanks KC!

I know the pre-made dough makes things so much easier. I had never heard of empanada dough either until I saw it on Cheap Recipe Blog. If you click the link for her website, she posted a picture of what it looks like, which was helpful to me when I was looking. Goya also makes a puff pastry version for sweet fillings.

Jill said...

That looks so tasty!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

Yum! These look divine...thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Janelle King said...

This is so tempting. I love cheesecake and pears. I bookmarked this to try. New fan from Never Dessert You.

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

I've never heard of empanada dough before, so I'm definitely going to be on the lookout now! These sound great!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Thanks for the recipe. Following you now. Linda

http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/hi-everyone-welcome-to-what-to-do.html

Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful with the red pepper dressing. Gotta fry this. Here in Honduras, they make empanadas...but not with this fabulous looking sauce.

We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
http://simpleesue.com/soup-kitchen-recipes-italian-wedding-soup

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kira,
I can't wait to taste your Turkey Empanadas and that Roasted Red Sauce looks so delicious. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

your Turkey Empanadas sound so good, will have to try them soon.
Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Jenn said...

These look great! Found you via the link up at Adorned From Above… thanks for sharing!

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤… Jennifer
http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca
http://pinterest.com/jennp6

chica chocolatina said...

Oh wow, these look delicious! It's funny I saw these before on a link party and loved the coloring of your wording as well.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

YUMMY!

Lisa Boyle said...

Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" These look SO good. :-) I hope you will join us again soon.

Carrie Robinson said...

Oh, these sound so good! :)
Thank you for linking up with Marvelous Mondays this week!

Anonymous said...

Yum! We do as well have turkey frozen in the freezer! My husband put some leftovers up for soups! These look yummy sweetie!

Thanks for linking up at Party In Polka Dots!

Shelley

www.piggyinpolkadots.blogspot.com

Post a Comment