CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Skinny Cranberry Scones


Happy New Year everyone! I hope that everyone had a fun and safe New Years Eve.

Okay, so I'm gearing up to get back on the weight loss track. I've been working the Weight Watchers program on and off, since giving birth to a baby girl in May, as a gestational surrogate. I haven't done too badly(I've lost all my pregnancy weight,) but was "fluffy" before getting pregnant, so I still have more weight I would like to lose.

I say "gearing up" because my family and I are leaving to go to Disneyland on Thursday for 3 days. I don't plan on counting points while at Disneyland, so I won't officially start back on Weight Watchers until Monday Jan.7th. 

Getting back on track is very important to me. Not only for my health, and to be a good role model for my kids (I have one skinny mini & one chunky monkey,) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some exciting news to share with all of you in a couple of months, so I need to lose the weight! Darn you holiday cookies! It's so hard to eat just ONE!

This Skinny Cranberry Scones recipe is adapted from a recipe I found on Pinterest via Skinny Taste. I had leftover buttermilk from making Fried Ravioli as a Christmas day snack, so I searched Pinterest and came across Gina's recipe for Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones. When I asked my husband, if he would eat these, he told me that scones should have dried fruit, not chocolate chips! His mom must have made them with raisins growing up, so that is what he was used to, I guess? I humored him, and substituted the chocolate chips for dried cranberries!

Skinny Cranberry Scones 

3/4 cup cold reduced fat buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour 
1 cup white whole wheat flour 
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces 
3/4 cup Ocean Spray dried cranberries
cooking spray
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tbsp sugar


Preheat oven to 375°. Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently fold in dried cranberries. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist.

Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Form dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, cut dough into 8 wedges all the way through.

Brush egg white over dough and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, depending on your oven. Serve warm.


Makes 8 servings. If you are following Weight Watchers, each scone is 6 points plus.







I link up at these great parties! Print Friendly and PDF
Pin It!

35 comments:

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

YUMMY! I'd love you to come link this up at my Pin Me Linky Party. New follower!

Kira Sanders said...

Thank you Diana! I definitely will :-)

SallysBakingAddiction said...

i am ALL about skinny recipes this time of year and have a few I'm excited to share - I've never made a skinny scone before. you have my intrigued - they look SO good.

The Redhead Baker said...

I have such a sweet tooth, I could never give up my sweet breakfast pastries, so I love seeing lighter options like these! Yum!

Kira Sanders said...

Sally,

Yes, these are delicious! My husband even likes them, which is no small feat I tell you! I'm actually surprised he didn't make a comment about the whole wheat flour.

I can't wait to see what skinny recipes you whip up for us!

Kira Sanders said...

Coleen,

This is a good option for a lightly sweet breakfast treat!

What I don't understand is why doesn't using whole wheat flour save on calories! It doesn't....Boo! But, I did use reduced fat buttermilk, whereas the original recipe calls for regular buttermilk, so hopefully that saves a few calories!

JeniV said...

Yummy! I gotta try these!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

I'm back on WW now, too, so I'm thrilled you posted this recipe! I'm all for a skinny scone! Thank you so much for sharing these at What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday!

Kira Sanders said...

Your welcome Ashley! I'm definitely going to include the WW points plus on all of my recipes. Hopefully, this helps others in their weight loss efforts :-)

Love Christin said...

Congrats on going to Disneyland! that has to be alot of fun! I'm a new follower via a blog hop, & Im also new to the blog world! Can't wait to read more of you blog! <3 Christin

Kira Sanders said...

Welcome Christin!

I'm lucky that I only live about 1 1/2 away, but it's still a treat every time we have the opportunity to go. This trip will be the first time my kiddos go with my parents & brother. It should be a blast!

Thank you for following me :-) I look forward to hearing from you again!

Rachel said...

Hey there - new follower from the blog hop! Love your blog and can't wait to read more! Hope you have a great day! :)
Rachel
http://sugar-stripes.blogspot.com/

Kira Sanders said...

Thank you Rachel:-) I hope you have a wonderful day too!

Cramer Coffee and Jesus said...

ohhh yumm!! these look delicious! Perhaps they're easy enough for ME to make? haha. so glad I found you from the Grow Your Blog link up! Love getting new recipes...I'm learning to cook and bake. ha.

Ang Paris said...

Hello there, new friend,
Thanks so much for linking up on the Grow Your Blog Hop today! These scones look amazing - I'm going to forward this to my sister, who is a crazy scone-making lady, heehee! I love that these are skinny, too. My sister doesn't need that, but I sure do! :) Happy Thursday, from your newest GFC follower!

Heather said...

These look like such a perfect weekend breakfast!

I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. http://notjustbrides.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

WhatJeanLikes said...

Anything with skinny and scones in the same sentence is something worth trying!! These look utterly delicious!! I hope you're having a great week and a Happy New Year!

Thank you so much for linking up to last week's Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I'm following you.

If you have time, we'd love to have you come and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already! (Thank you so very much if you've already linked up, I truly appreciate it!!)

Come and link up and celebrate the coming weekend with us!

Aloha,

Jean {What Jean Likes}

Kira Sanders said...

Angela,

Yes, please share this recipe with your sister. And, I know what you mean....I need a whole lot of skinny recipes right now!

Thanks so much for following me :-)

Kira Sanders said...

Whitney,

Yes! I'm sure you could make these no problem. They're super easy. Let me know how they turn out if you decide to give them a try.

Kira Sanders said...

Jean,

Thanks for stopping by and for the invitation to your blog hop. I'll definitely link up!

Also, thanks for following me on GFC. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Kira Sanders said...

Thanks for the nomination Heather! This is very exciting!

Heidi said...

What a clever idea to cut the dough before it cooks! I wish there was a way to do that with pizza! :) Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend! Enjoy your weekend.

Jill said...

Oh yum - them sound really good!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you are having a fabulous festive week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kira,
I just love scones and your Skinny Cranberry Scones look delicious. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen
A New Follower

Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

Yum! I have only made scones once, but they were pretty easy. I love that your version uses dried cranberries! Thank you for joining Evelyn and myself at our first ever Let's Get Social Sunday hop! Now following via GFC and Pinterest. Have a great weekend! Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Love scones -- these sound wonderful! Hope your Disney vacation was great! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday.

Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

Yum! Looks great! I am hosting a link party @ SHOW-LICIOUS CRAFT SHOWCASE if you would like to participate! :)

http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/01/saturday-show-licious-craft-showcase-14.html

Happy New Year!
Marti

Kira Sanders said...

Marti,

Thanks for the invite! I added a recipe and a craft.

Kira Sanders said...

Charlene,

Thanks, it was....exhausting, but fun :-)

Kira Sanders said...

Jamie,

These are so easy & the cranberries are a welcomed addition.

Did you make traditional scones with raisins?

This is only the second time I've made scones. The first time, the recipe called for strawberry jam to be sandwiched between 2 layers of dough. Those were yummy as well!

Kira Sanders said...

Jill and Miz Helen,

Thank you! I hope you are both having a fabulous start to your week!

Kira Sanders said...

Heidi,

I know, It's so fun to make scones this way! My husband commented about this method as well, as his mom only made "drop" scones growing up. I've only made scones the pizza way! It works out well :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds amazing!
Thanks for sharing on Tutorial Thursday
x
Natalie
www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great week.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Kira Sanders said...

Thank you for featuring this recipe Miz Helen! I was having an awful day today, and this totally brightened my day!

Post a Comment