CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn


My daughter decorated Gingerbread People in her class this past Friday, and each child was assigned a couple of goodies to contribute. We brought Jet-Puffed Peppermint Mallows, and after all was said and done, came home with over half a bag. Right on the back of the bag there is a recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn. I altered the recipe slightly, as the original recipe didn't call for the additional Peppermint Mallows you see in the picture. I felt the final product was not "pepperminty" enough, so I added more after the popcorn cooled. The extra mallows add additional texture and color, which I think the original recipe was lacking. I would even go as far as adding some peppermint extract to the melted chocolate. I didn't have any on hand, so I worked with what I had.


Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn


1/2 tsp. salt, divided
12 cups warm air popped popcorn
4 oz. Baker's semi-sweet chocolate (I substituted 4 oz. Hershey's Milk Chocolate Kisses, about 26)
1/2 cup butter
40 Jet-Puffed Mini Peppermint Mallows
5 oz. Jet-Puffed Mini Peppermint Mallows

Heat oven to 275 degrees. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp. salt over popcorn in a large bowl;toss to coat. Set aside.  

Melt chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan on low heat, stirring frequently. Add 40 marshmallows; stir until completely melted. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. 

Pour over popcorn; toss to coat. Spread onto greased baking sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp; stirring after 15 minutes. Cool on wax paper. When popcorn is cool, transfer to a large bowl and toss with additional 5 oz. marshmallows. Store in an airtight container.

Makes 24 servings, 1/2 c each. If you are following Weight Watchers each 1/2 c serving is 4 Points Plus. The amount shown in the foil papers below are 1/2 c servings.







Print Friendly and PDF
Pin It!

10 comments:

Angie Generose said...

Great idea - this looks amazing! I'd like to put this in glass jars and use for coworker gifts.

-Angie
www.easylivingmom.com

Kira @ My Sesame Seed Buns said...

That's a great idea Angie. I bet this would look beautiful in a glass jar. I was thinking the edition of holiday M&Ms, mixed in with the popcorn & marshmallows would be a nice touch as well. It would add an extra chocolate crunch. Happy Holidays!

Heather said...

This looks so yummy!

Kira @ My Sesame Seed Buns said...

Thanks Heather :-)My husband took most of it to the break room at his work, so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it all!

Winnie said...

What a great idea!
Probably hard to stop eating

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-14-baklava.html



I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

Kira @ My Sesame Seed Buns said...

Winnie,

Thank you!

And, YES! It was hard to stop eating. I only ate 2 servings, and got the rest out of my house!

Kira @ My Sesame Seed Buns said...

Kathy,

Thank you for the invite. I linked up, and added your button to my link party page.

Your Baklava looks delicious! What a great tradition to have with your hubby.

Mackenzie said...

Yum; I'm a fan of almost anything peppermint! Sounds delicious! You are a featured favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! We can't wait to see what you've been up to with your family over Christmas! :)
Mackenzie :)

Kira @ My Sesame Seed Buns said...

Wow! Thank you Mackenzie! I'm honored :-)

Post a Comment